Obiano Imposes Curfew on Two Anambra Communities Following Communal Clash That Left 3 Dead

Anambra State Governor, Willie Obiano, has imposed a curfew on two communities in the state following a communal clash that led to the death of three people on Sunday, May 16.

Residents of Anaku and Omor Communities had on Sunday engaged in a clash. Houses were burned and residents were injured, three people fatally so.

According to a statement issued by the Secretary to the state government, Prof. Solo Chukwukibelu, the curfew would be between 7pm and 6am daily until further notice.

He added that the governor warned that his administration would not tolerate residents taking laws into their hands.

He said anyone found causing breach of peace would face the full wrath of the law.

The state Police Public Relations Officer PPRO, Mr. Ikenga Tochukwu, while confirming that three persons died in the fracas, said normalcy had been restored in the area.

The PPRO said: “Normalcy has been restored in the area and our men are still on the ground to ensure the safety of life and property. So far, we have recovered three bodies that have been deposited at the morgue.”

Anaku and Omor communities have been having a protracted crisis over land.

Those affected in the renewed crisis include a former Chief Judge of Anambra and a former commissioner.

Read More  Unknown Gunmen Attack INEC Secretariat and Police Division in Anambra

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *