An international passport is an identity document issued by a country to its citizens. The holder of a country’s passport is thus confirmed to be a citizen of that country. An international passport is an essential travel document. Without it, you may not be able to travel outside your country. The passport contains important details of the holder such as photo, name, & date of birth.
Many Nigerians are interested in applying for an international passport but have no idea how of the cost implications. They also do not know the processes involved. This post will shed some light on how to obtain a Nigerian international passport. The cost, as well as documents required to process a passport in Nigeria, will be discussed.
How Much is International Passport in Nigeria
The Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) is the government body in charge of international passports in Nigeria. Recently, the body announced a new price regime for Nigerian passports. The cost of a Nigerian international passport depends on some factors. The category of passport, the number of pages, and the validity period of the passport all affect the price.
You can apply for a standard passport or an official passport if you qualify for one. The standard passport is the version available to the general public and is of three types. The three types and the cost of obtaining each are as follows:
- The 32-page standard passport that lasts for five years now costs N25,000.
- The 64-page standard passport which lasts for five years costs N35,000.
- The 64-page standard passport which lasts for 10 years costs N70,000.
The 64-page passports are for those that travel frequently.
Official passport is reserved for government officials alone. If you are not a government official, you cannot apply for an official passport. The cost of applying for a 32-page five-year official passport is N15,000.
How to Apply for a Nigerian Passport
The process of applying for an international passport in Nigeria is easy and straightforward. The application process starts online, after which you will be requested to show up for an interview. At the interview, you must present some documents to back up your application. Once you submit all the necessary documents, you will be issued an international passport. The application process as well as the documents to be presented at the interview discussed below.
- Visit the website of the NIS at https://portal.immigration.gov.ng to begin the application process.
- Click on e-Passport Application Form
- Next, select the passport type, either “Standard e-Passport” or “Official e-Passport”, whichever is applicable. After that click on the ‘Start Application’ button to begin your application.
- Fill the Application form accurately, check the required box, and then print the filled form. Submit the form to move to the next stage.
- Next stage is payment. Click on “Proceed to Online Payment” button to initiate the payment process. Select the payment currency which in this case should be Naira since you are paying from within Nigeria. The dollar payment option is for payments made from outside Nigeria. After selecting Naira as your payment currency, click “Continue”.
- Next, you will select the payment method. There are two options; pay at the bank or with your card (either debit or credit card).
- If you choose bank payment, print “Payment Acknowledgment Slip” which has Transaction ID, Application ID & Reference Number. Take this slip to a participating bank and make payment. After paying the required sum, the bank will issue an ‘approved payment platform provider’ receipt to you. This receipt contains a “Validation Number” which you will use to confirm your payment on the NIS website.
- If you choose to pay with Credit/Debit card, you are taken to the payment portal and prompted through the steps. After completing payment, a “Validation Number” will be generated. Save this number as you will need it to confirm your payment. Print your receipt after completing payment.
- With payment done, return to the NIS portal for payment confirmation and continuation of the application. To do confirm your payment, click on “Query your Application Payment Status”. You will be taken to a new page where you will enter your Passport Application ID and Reference No. After that, you will be required to input the Validation Number you got after making payment. Enter the number correctly and submit. Your payment will be confirmed after.
- Immediately your payment is confirmed, a date will be fixed for your interview. Check the date by clicking on the “Search Record” button. From there you will be taken to the “Applicant’s Details” page where you will see your interview date.
- Next step is to print the NIS e-receipt or Acknowledgement Slip. You must present this document at your interview. To print your NIS e-Receipt, click on ‘Query your application payment status’ on the portal homepage. Under the ‘Application Type’ drop-down, select ‘Passport’. You will then input and submit the following details: Application ID Reference Number Validation Number (if applicable). Your application details will be displayed after you submit the details. To print your receipt, scroll down the page and click on ‘Print receipt’
- The last thing you need to do on the portal is to generate Guarantors Form. You will find the link for this on the homepage.
For the interview, you are required to show up with the following documents:
- Standard Passport
- Local Government letter of identification.
- Birth certificate / Age declaration.
- 2 recent colour passport photographs
- Acknowledgement slip & payment receipt
- A printed copy of the application form you completed online.
- Guarantor’s form. This must have been sworn to before a commissioner of Oaths/Magistrate/High Court Judge
- For minors under the age of 16, a Parents’ letter of consent is required.
- Marriage certificate where applicable
- Police report in case of lost passport.
You can read more about the passport application process here.
Cost of Renewing Passport in Nigeria
If you are asking how much it cost to renew a passport in Nigeria, you will find the answer here. The cost of renewing an international passport in Nigeria now is N70,000.
Some documents needed to renew an international passport in Nigeria are discussed. You will be required to present the old passport if it has been exhausted or expired. For missing passports, a police report will be needed. The applicant will also need to provide the passport number of the lost passport. Physical appearance for image capturing and bio-data acquisition is mandatory.
Nigerian Immigration Service Passport Offices Nationwide
The processing for international passport can be completed at any of the following passport offices nearest to you. There is at least one passport office in each state of the federation.
- Abia Passport Office
Address: 72, School Road, Umuahia, Abia State.
- Abuja SHQ
Address: Nigeria Immigration Service Headquarters, Sauka Abuja
- Abuja FCT Passport Office
Address: Old Secretariat Road, Gwagwalada
- Adamawa Passport Office
Address: Federal Secretariat Complex, Yola, Adamawa State.
- Akwa Ibom Passport Office
Address: Federal Secretariat, Abak Road Uyo
- Anambra Passport Office
Address: Command Headquarters, Awka
- Bauchi Passport Office
Address: Federal Secretariat Bauchi
- Bayelsa Passport Office
Address: Road Safety Road, Yenogoa
- Benue Passport Office
Address: No 6, Kashim Ibrahim Rd GRA Makurdi
- Borno Passport Office
Address: Off Bama Road, Maiduguri
- Cross River Passport Office
Address: No 2, Otuansa Street, opposite Airport
- Delta State Passport Office
Address: Command Hqters, Ogwashiku Rd. Asaba
- Ebonyi Passport Office
Address: No 2, Afor Ezuna Road Abakaliki
- Edo Passport Office
Address: Command Hqters, Ikpoba Hill, Benin City
- Ekiti Passport Office
Address: Km 5 Afe Babalola Rd, Ado-Ekiti
- Enugu Passport Office
Address: Federal Secretariat, Ogui Layout Enugu
- Gombe Passport Office
Address: Immigration Barracks, Bauchi Road, Gombe
- Imo Passport Office
Address: Onitsha Road, Federal Secretariat Owerri
- Jigawa Passport Office
Address: Old State Secretariat, Dutse
- Kaduna Passport Office
Address: Independence Way Kaduna
- Kano Passport Office (1)
Address: By Farm Settlement, off Maiduguri Road, Kano
- Katsina Passport Office
Address: Hassan Usman Road, Katsina
- Kebbi Passport Office
Address: By New Government House, Argungu Road, Birni Kebbi
- Kogi Passport Office
Address: Off Mount Patti Road, Lokoja
- Kwara Passport Office
Address: Federal Secretariat, Fate Road, Ilorin
- Lagos-Ikoyi Passport Office
Address: Alagbon Close ikoyi
- Alausa Passport Office
Address: Alausa, by Govt House, Ikeja
- Festac Passport office
Address: 3rd Avenue, A close Festac Town
- Nasarawa Passport Office
Address: Lafia-Makurdi Rd, LGA Secretariat, Lafia
- Niger Passport Office
Address: Old State Secretariat, Minna
- Ogun Passport Office
Address: Old Party Secretariat, Oke-Mosan
- Ondo Passport Office
Address: Federal Secretariat Complex, Akure
- Osun Passport Office
Address: Gbogan Road, Oshogbo
- Oyo Passport Office
Address: By Agodi Gate Area, Ibadan
- Plateau Passport Office
Address: Federal Secretariat Complex, Jos
- Rivers Passport Office
Address: Federal Secretariat, Aba Road Port Harcourt
- Sokoto Passport Office
Address: Federal Secretariat Complex Sokoto
- Taraba Passport Office
Address: Mile 6 Jalingo-Numan Road Jalingo
- Yobe Passport Office
Address: Gashua Road, Damaturu
- Zamfara Passport Office
Address: Near Government House, Gusau.
Conclusion (How Much is International Passport in Nigeria)
The cost of applying for an international passport in Nigeria has been discussed in this post. Detailed information is also provided on the application process and required documents. If you had no knowledge of the cost or the application process for a passport in Nigeria, now you know.