Abubakar Bukola Saraki is a popular and savvy Nigerian politician and currently the Senate President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. He has been the Senate President since 2015.
He is also a medical doctor by profession, having obtained his M.B.B.S at the University of London. He is also an investor, entrepreneur, and humanitarian.
Early Life and Education
Bukola Saraki was born on 19th December 1962 to his parents Senator Olusola Saraki and Mrs. Florence Morenike Sarai. He is from Kwara State. His father, Senator Olusola Saraki was a Nigerian Senator from 1979 to 1983, serving as Senate Leader.
At the completion of his primary education and obtaining his First School Leaving Certificate in 1973, he proceeded to the famous King’s College situated in Lagos and obtained his WASSCE in 1978. From there he attended Cheltenham College UK and obtained his High School Certificate between 1978 to 1981.
At the completion of his high school, he went to the University of London Uk. There he succeeded in obtaining his degree and master’s degree certificates in Medicine and Surgery. He successfully got his M.B.B.S at the London Hospital Medical College, an arm of the University of London.
Ever since, he has practiced his profession only at the Rush Green Hospital Essex Uk before returning to Nigeria, where he worked as director of Societe Generale Bank Nigeria Limited between 1990 to 2000.
Since then he has ventured into politics and has been successful. Some of the positions he has held include:
• Special Assistant to President Obasanjo on Budget.
In this capacity, he kickstarted the Fiscal Responsibility Bill among many others. Also, he was able to create and implement some economic policies while serving at Economic policy Coordination Committee.
• Inactive politics, he joined the All progressive Congress, under which he ran for Senate in the 2015 general elections. However, shortly after emerging victorious, he decamped to the People’s Democratic Party PDP.
Saraki is seen by many as one of the most corrupt senators in Nigeria. They attest to that fact by his wealth. He is seen as the richest senator and on the declaration of his wealth, it shows he has lots of properties, cars worth billions of Dollars in Naira.
• He has been awarded CON, Commander of the Order of the Niger and is the first seating governor (2003 to 2011) to be given this award. Also in 2017, the Governor of Kwara State, Abdulfatah Ahmed awarded him with Outstanding Leadership Award for his outstanding service to the Nation. Other awards received include the Institute of Chartered Accountants Award of Excellence 2010, Nigerian Bar Association Award for Excellence. He is also GLOBE Nigeria’s President
• At the end of his governorship tenure in 2011, he contested for Senate under PDP and won, however, he defected over to APC
• He has been crowned the Turaki of Fela emirate, which is an officer serving at the Hausa-Fulani Kingdom. As he is now the Wazirin Gari, meaning the traditional Prime minister of Fula emirate by the Emir of Ilorin Kwara State.
One of his humanitarian services is inviting displaced white farmers from Zimbabwe to Kwara State and gave them the opportunity to farm, this was called the Shonga Farm programme and is currently being replicated all over Nigeria.
Bukola is married to Toyin, together, they have four children, Tosin, Seni, Teniola, and Teniayo.
Net Worth and Properties
- Some of his properties include:
- Plot 212 Musa Yar’Adua Street, Victoria Island, N700 million.
- Others are a plot of land on Lekki Phase (block 72), N7 million; Ibafo near Ajah, N5 million;
- Buildings on number 42 Gerrard Road, Ikoyi, N750 million;
- 19 Roxton Road, Ikoyi, N500 million;
- 62 Awolowo Road, Ikoyi, N100 million;
- 15A & B MacDonald, Ikoyi, N160 million
- 6 Vulga Street, Maitama, Abuja, N60 million.
• UNITED KINGDOM PROPERTIES
123A, Ashley Gardens, Thirleby Road, London, valued at $750,000. (N120 Million Naira)
56 Cheyne Court, SW 3, London, $900,000; (N144 Million Naira)
54 Ashley Gardens, Ambrasden Avenue, London, $2.5 million; (N400 Million Naira)
141 Ashley Gardens, Thirleby Road, London, $600,000; (N96 Million Naira)
Nell Gwynn House, Sleave Avenue, London, $400,000; (N64 Million Naira)
Ormond House, Ormond Street, S/London, $400,000; (N64 Million Naira)
53 Ashley Gardens, Ambrasden Avenue, London, $2.5 million, (N400 Million Naira)
70 Bourne Street, S/W London, valued at $4.8 million. (N768 Million Naira)
Mercedes X320, valued at N16m
Mercedes X500 worth N20m
Mercedes G500, valued at N6m
Mercedes V220 worth 2m
Ferrari456GT, valued at N25m
MN240 worth N8.5m
Peugeot 406, valued at N2.9m
Mercedes CLK 320 worth N9m
Mercedes E320 valued at N11m
Mercedes G500 bullet proof worth N45m
Mercedes X500 worth N300m
Lexus jeep bullet proof valued at N30m
Lincoln Navigator bullet proof worth N25m
This was disclosed while he declared his assets and net worth when he was charged with corruption. He said he was already rich before becoming the Governor of Kwara State. He said that he had $22million in his various accounts and was an owner of the landed property with an estimated value of N2billion Naira.
Currently, Saraki is estimated to have a net worth of $200 Million dollars which is approximately N72 billion Naira.